Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Myfamily.com are leaving us!


Yesterday I received an email from myfamily.com telling me that their free groups service will be ending soon. As I have a Basic (free) group on myfamily.com , I was really disappointed. I had come to love and really appreciate my site which I had put a lot of effort into. Not mentioning the other family members that had joined in order to share pictures, events of their lives and basically bringing us together via the internet. We would often laugh and joke about what each other had uploaded to the site. It was our thing and the grown ups didn't know about it. (Yes, I still include myself in the kids category!) I was even about to invite more relatives from Pakistan but alas, I won't be doing that.
Here is what the email said:


Important service changes to myfamily.com Effective July 1, 2010 We will be discontinuing support for Basic (free) groups as of July 1, 2010. In order for you and your members to have uninterrupted access to your group(s) after July 1, you or anyone in your group will need to upgrade it to an Essentials subscription plan. After July 1, if your group is not upgraded, it will not be deleted and you can still upgrade at any time. However, if you decide you are not going to upgrade, please download or copy any content you wish to retain before that date. $20 off your first year Essentials upgrade – offer starts today! We understand change like this isn't easy, so as a special offer to all our current members, like you, we are offering a first-year subscription rate of $9.95 per group. That’s a discount of $20 or over 65% off the regular price of $29.95. The Essentials plan gives you the same great features you know and love plus:
  • No ads on your group
  • Each member can upload 1GB per month (10x more than your Basic group)
  • Complete theme library
  • Customize your group features and theme
  • Personalized URL
Click here to upgrade your family group(s) now to the Essentials subscription for only $9.95 for the first year. Thank you, and we hope that you continue to stay connected with family and friends on myfamily.com - The myfamily.com Team


To be fair, they're not leaving us - they're just asking for money. How much? $9.95 per group for the first year, then they hike it up to $29.95. If you don't know what I'm talking about then check out the myfamily.com website. I wanna know where I can complain about it or sign a petition. So if anyone knows, please do tell. So what's next? Well, I'm hoping that they will allow previous free groups to continue unless they are inactive for 6 months, which seems fair. Otherwise I shall have to look elsewhere..

So who has a family group at myfamily.com? Anyone bothered about paying up?

No comments: