Monday, November 9, 2009

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Randall Style


I've been reading Randall Seaver's
blog for some time now but never participated in his weekly fun games but this week I thought I'd give it a go. (Yes, I do realise it's Monday not Saturday :p)

The task was to find the geographical distribution of your surname by visiting www.publicprofiler.org which shows you a map with colours that reflect the high or low frequency of a particular surname. I typed in my surname and clicked on United Kingdom and my region - it came up with these results:



(a snapshot of the webpage)
Top countries:

United Kingdom
India
Norway
Denmark
New-Zealand

Top regions:

Yorkshire and Humberside, United Kingdom
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Oslo, Norway
North West, United Kingdom
South East, United Kingdom

Top cities:

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
Bradford, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
London E1, South East, United Kingdom
Manchester, North West, United Kingdom
Wakefield, Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Top forenames:

Mohammed
Abid
Syed
Sajid
Khalid

Interestingly, there were no female names in the top 5. Men rule, eh?

No comments: